Home Forums T shirt printing Accurip or just photoshop for halftones?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  john 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I love the idea of using halftones to create gradients and shading on my t shirts prints using just one color and one template so I started doing some research halftones. and apparently you can create halftones designed for screen printing with a few clicks using a RIP software called Accurip… has anyone used this software to generate halftones before? The videos I have seen of people using this software does make halftone creation seem so easy and the results look crisper and sharper especially around text as with the default covert to bitmap using Photoshop text will often loose its hard edges but with accurip the hard edges are retained. I can imagine that when screen printing onto t shirts using halftones quite a lot of that accuracy and sharpness will be lost as the ink will be sitting on the uneven fabric surface so having as much exposed accuracy in your screen mesh as possible is essential? But saying all of that the price of Accurrip which is basically just a extra few printing filters is ridiculous as it is £500 which makes it around the same price for a decent printer!! I have also heard on other forums that with a little work on your Photoshop file you can actually do everything accurip can do anyway.. it just takes a little bit more work to create your own halftones.

Please give me your thoughts on this! Thanks

john

Hi, I have never tried accurip before but I have seen what it can do on various videos and I have to say that with a little bit of work in photoshop separating your art work into different layers and creating you own halftones you can actually get better results just with photoshop. You have to be aware that there are a lot of snakeoil sales people out there trying to get you to buy all these very expensive things… else in their words “you will not be able to print professional screen prints” which is wrong.

When it comes to screen printing half tones it doesn’t really matter if you use accurip or not at the end of the day it is how accurate you have exposed the screens that is the most important thing… it really doesn’t matter whether you have this £500 RIP software or not.. after all your emulsion isn’t just going to refuse to to be exposed just because you didnt use Accurip. Just make sure that you use a single light source when exposing and have good positive contact on your film when exposing so that it is as sharp as possible.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.