0%

commision or fees for selling:

Eco-Friendly & Sustainable Products

It's free to join...

Become a vendor today!

Home main Forums Health and fitness Reconstructed ACL re- rupture, any experience?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  alx 1 year ago.

• Author

elly1
    Participant

My daughter ruptured her ACL when she was about 14. It was reconstructed using a part tendon from her other leg.
    Fast forward 8 years and it’s ruptured again, following a Fall.
    It likely needs reconstructing again. Obviously not with her own tendon.
    Has anyone ever experienced this, and how successful was the re-reconstruction?

martin
    Participant

Not me personally, but I’ve known a couple of people who have had a second reconstruction and it has been successful. However, it does become easier to re-damage the ACL each time.

elly1
      Participant

Thanks. Annoying if becomes weaker every time, too.

ester
    Participant

OH has had his stripped twice and ruptured twice.

Fair to say it is not pretty! He gave up running and stuff like that, but it has been workable to get him around, ride a bike and ride a horse for over 20 years now.

Best advice is to rest as much as possible (as in don’t try to return to what you were doing before) and get lots of private physio as the NHS physio was not as thorough. The physio is key to keep it stretched and mobile.

Having said that, the day he snapped it right through (last time he did it) they tried to send him home from the hospital with just crutches (they thought it was just sprained) but I refused to take him and insisted on a second opinion. The consultant was called out as an emergency (because I had asked for a second opinion), identified it was snapped right through (not hard to see really as there was a floppy gap where the tendon was supposed to be) and he was operated on in the early hours. The consultant said the operation had to be done within X number of hours for a favorable result as otherwise the tendon would shrink back and be a lot harder to repair. Maybe if your daughter’s tendon is not actually snapped right through this would not be the same.

elly1
      Participant

she hasnt even gone the nhs route as they refused to do anything the first time it happened, even though she was in agony and could barely stand on it. She luckily has private healthcare which covers pre existing conditions, so has taken that route.
      Good to hear your husband has been ok once sorted, too. She doesn’t run, so wouldn’t miss that! Daughters has snapped through. She has been told 3-6 months hard Physio, then operate.

ester
      Participant

When his snapped through the ends disappeared. The snap was near the bottom of his leg, so the small bit snapped back to his foot, and the top part disappeared right up to his knee. I don’t know how physio can improve that? If the ends are 20cm apart they can’t reattach?

I was similarly despairing of the NHS for him. There was obviously something very wrong, not just with his non-weight bearing, but also with the fact that the hard rope under the skin in his ankle was missing leaving a flappy skin and an empty space! Could not believe they proposed I take him home. For him, he was shouting at me to just take him home (he just wanted to go to bed with a whiskey and painkillers) but no, I refused, and the looks I got from the staff was enough to burn toast! The consultant was horrified that he had been turned away, he was admitted immediately and operated on at 2 am.

elly1
      Participant

Good, you stood your ground, although I did last time, it got me nowhere.
      Sadly, this time she fell over while abroad. Not drunk. Went to the hospital in Spain, who x rayed it, declared it not broken (which she knew) and then refused to do anymore as it was a bank holiday!! So, by the time she got home, would have been too late to do an operation.
      The idea of the Physio is to see if the knee will stabilize without the op. In an older person, it probably would, bar playing sports like hockey or rugby. In a younger one, the consultant was hopeful it may, but not overly optimistic. He also said it would need 2 operations plus a donation ACL, so it will be quite traumatic surgery. Hence, him wanting to try the intensive Physio. Also, she can’t be totally out of action at the moment, as I’m about to go under the knife too, and one of us needs to be able to walk properly.

alx
      Participant

@ester They did something similar with me, it wasn’t my ACL but my AFTL ligament got told to go home, rest it for a couple of days and then walk on it, apparently it was just a sprain and they didn’t even give me crutches. 2 days later I passed out when I touched my toes to the floor. 16 months of pain, delayed operations, my ankle turning right angles to my leg and me on crutches I finally got an operation to reconstruct the ligament.

Fuzz
    Participant

My partner completely snapped through his ACL and had to have physio for 6 months before having the op too. That was mainly to help straighten the leg as it had all spasmed due to it being left (A & E sent him home twice and refused to do anything!) and to also ‘loosen’ the hamstring that would be used for the graft so that it would be more successful. I hope it all works out for her, I had a different knee issue (crush injury from a tractor an lateral collateral tendon problems) I refused an op and just had hard physio and external fixation and it is pretty much stable now. No running for me but that doesn’t bother me really anyway!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shop By Department